If you’re a renter, do you understand the difference in renting from an individual landlord or a property management company in Texas? It’s good to know before you sign a lease. The type of landlord can make a huge difference in your renting experience, especially for the long term.
If you’re trying to decide about which way to go, here are some helpful tips to help you make a more informed decision:
- Location is always important. Where is the property located and what are the drive stats? What is the age of the property?
- What type of rental is it? An apartment, a house, a condo? Is it newish or older?
- How many rentals does the individual or management company manage? Is there backup available on weekends, holidays, and after-hours?
- Does your rental have an on-site manager? (most apartments usually do).
- What is the personality, style, and management process of the individual landlord or management company?
Individual Landlord or Property Management Company in Texas?
There’s no reason to be fast friends with your landlord, but what you should expect is prompt service for repairs and other problems, including noisy neighbors; reasonable rent increases; no delays for return of your security deposit; respect for your privacy and other tenant rights; and honest and open communication.
Here are some issues to consider:
- Professional property management companies are more proficient when it comes to repairs and maintenance issues. In fact, the best ones have a database of contractors they rely on for specific repairs and maintenance. An individual landlord may not wish to spend their time and money on repairs and might choose less qualified, cheaper contractors to do the work.
- While a professional a property management company may have rules and procedures, such as doing move-in inspections and re-keying of locks with every new tenant, these are procedures well worth your time and attention.
Cousin James Management is a name renters trust when it comes to management companies in Texas. Hundreds of satisfied renters and families have been relying on us for over 25 years. We take great pride in taking the stress out of rental property management, so that renters and property owners alike have a better experience. Whether your need is residential or commercial, expect your landlord to be a professional at all times. Get the details on how the property is managed and feel good about making an informed decision.