It’s a common challenge among property owners who wear the hat of landlord. Your tenants move out and your task is to make the property as rent ready as possible as soon as possible. After all, your rental revenue is why you’re a landlord in the first place, right?
Rarely does the ideal situation occur where one lease ends and the new one kicks in for new tenants. If only it could happen this smoothly more people would be landlords. Turnover time is inevitable, and that’s where you get your property ready for the next tenants.
For instance, there’s the move-out inspection, cleaning, repairs, coordinating with the right people to do these jobs, final review once the work is done and finally the hand off of the keys to the new tenant.
Timelines for all of these activities vary widely and can range from 12 to 24 hours or 10 days or more. Have your contractors ready to go in to clean and repair the same day your tenants move out. Trying to do it yourself? Remember, professional teams know how to streamline the work and can get it done quickly.
Some of the turnover tasks you may need to employ might include some of the following.
- Carpet Cleaning – Allow anywhere from 2 to 24 hours for this
- Painting – Depending on how many rooms, allow at least 8 hrs per room
- Cleaning – Professional cleaning services can do a 1000 sq.ft. in an hour.
- Change Locks – You should be able to DIY in less than an hour
- Replace Air Filters – Aside from servicing your HVAC annually, you can replace filters in about 5-10 minutes.
- Test the Alarms – Check smoke detectors, test them and replace those not working.
If all of this sounds like a lot of work and an unwanted brain drain, there is a simple solution. Cousin James Management can comprehensively manage your rental property, keep it in top condition, locate and vet excellent tenants and even help you sell it if you decide to do so later on. Let us know what you decide. We’re here to help.